Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Part 1 Series of unfortunate (and fortunate) coincidences

This first post corresponds to “DAY 27” of Wilbur’s Thoughts.

Black swan

Is this the black swan of my life? Maybe, so far. And, by black swan I’m referring to the theory in which events such as this are outliers, beyond the realm of my expectation, and carry great impact. Somewhere through all this, I try to explain and rationalize its occurrence – though this seems like a typical coping mechanism for me and a way to dumb it down so I can comprehend the situation. Dumb B-cells. Some simplified pathophysiology on HL: first, the mutation of B-cell immunoglobulin gene causes the binuclear cells known as Reed-Sternberg. Key errors in the pathway of factor NF-kB is chiefly responsible for those malignant transformation and proliferation of RS cells. Also, the weak RS cells create a high level of production and inhibition of cell death for certain cytokines and factors. Those factors in turn cause the clinical manifestations of the disease. Seems to me that there’s a million tiny processes cooperating in the body at any given time, but it only takes one little mistake to turn it all against itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment