Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Part 2 Series of unfortunate (and fortunate) coincidences

Some numbers on Hodgkin’s: incidence is 1 in 25,000, incidence per year in the US is 8,510 cases of Hodgkin versus 65,980 cases of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, affects ages 15-35 and over 60.

It’s random that it would happen to me. I have no family history of cancer, I don’t have Epstein-Barr, no immunodeficiency, I’m not white, and I’m not male. In fact, this described as totally beyond the realm of belief is more like it.

The best number on Hodgkin’s: 5 year survival rate of 85%.

The secret weapon to my survival: my husband. If you’ve read his blog, you know his heart and the pain this situation is putting him through. More on that later. But also this for your consideration: if we had married earlier we might have kids or pregnancy to complicate the situation, though if we didn’t get married 6 months ago, we would have delayed the wedding for at least a year. If we weren’t married, I wouldn’t be able to get his insurance to pay for treatment. If we weren’t married, I wouldn’t have this feeling of unshakeable strength from knowing I am loved. The only reason I’m getting through this is because I know I’m not alone; I have my family, my husband, and God. As an aside, I wouldn’t know God without my husband, but more on that later. Although it’s pretty tragic for this to happen 6 months into marriage, it's marriage that is the key factor in a series of unexplainable events that is going to open the path for me to live and thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment