Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 54

Well, today is Day 4 after chemo administration – historically my worst symptomatic day. So far, despite extra follicles in the drain and a tiny swell of nausea this morning, I feel better than I did the first round of chemo. I’m running a mini experiment with an herbal supplement made with yun-zhi mushroom extract (coriolus versicolor). It’s popular in eastern medicine; this bottle in particular is from Hong Kong. It helped my Uncle Homer, then taking the remedy for non-Hodgkin’s, to ease through treatment, according to my Auntie Betty. 1200mg a day for cancer inhibiting properties, 3600mg a day for concurrent use with chemotherapy. All I know about this extract is that it contains compounds which are chemically similar to two proteoglycans, polysaccharide K and polysaccharide peptide, which have been systematically studied in human cancer. Some studies have found the psk and psp to be effective in certain types of cancer, however I am more focused on the findings that say psk and psp have minimal side effects and do not interfere with chemo treatment. Therefore, having started yun-zhi supplements 5 days ago and not having taken it during former treatment, I’ll try to see if there are any tangible effects. Chiefly, if my white blood cell and neutrophil counts are improved as compared to the last cycle and I won’t have to delay treatment*, I’ll continue to take this.

*On day 52, my oncologist reviewed the potential side effects of Neupogen (the growth hormone for inducing white blood cells) combined with bleomycin (one of the more toxic chemo drugs) and decided to quit the Neupogen. This means I must wait until my white cell count is high enough before treatment can continue. An informed decision better late than never, I believe. Sometimes I feel like this when I call my patients with a follow up; hope they are as accepting of it as I am!

Source: http://www.current-oncology.com/index.php/oncology/article/view/147/209

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jackie,

    Your blog post came to my attention from a Google Alerts email I get on polysaccharide peptides. I take a PSP that is rice based versus the mushroom based one you are trying. I know some people who are HIV positive that take this PSP and that it has improved their T cell count, which are a type of white blood cells. Hopefully, what you are taking will produce positive results for you. I'll be keeping track of your blog going forward. Good luck to yu as you work to regain your health.

    Bruce Wells
    brucewells@bbvmarketing.biz

    ReplyDelete