Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 58

Reporting from SGV -- Being at mama's house is just like old times. It's comfy, cozy, and they can infantalize me as much as they want to. I'm here to number one, allow my family to keep their obsessive, collective eye on me while they carry on life as normal, and number two, to let my husband have some time alone and relief from his caretaker duties. He can kick back, watch football, and most importantly, be relieved of his gastronomic suffering. (Apparently everyone covertly sneaks junk food when I'm not on watch, as proven by mama's refrigerator full of (Armenian) pastries.) Solitude shows us what should be, right? I've take for granted my hermiting gives me the chance to reflect and rejuvenate. Freedom from outside demands, dissipation of any sense of urgency or commitment to anything other than what-I-want-right-now. I forgot that my husband might need that too. He may or may not feel this way: although love involves a sense of duty, if that duty becomes a chore, love can quickly wither away into resentment. As selfless as he's been, he'd be saint-like if he could continue on without time to be un-selfless. But while he gets to be king of his castle, lucky me gets to be coddled by the fam. My popo has cooked so much for me to eat -- and how can I say 'no' to popo? -- so much that I fear Wilbur may not recognize me when we meet again. Plum candy, savory green bean, stir fried mii fun, yum!! Thankfully, I have so many people who love me and want to take care of me the best way they know how. I'm really a girl with a life that's one in a million.

No comments:

Post a Comment