Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Health Insurance for the Invincible

Insurance -- one of the biggest problems to face us when starting down the road of evaluation and diagnosis. I had this awesome insurance that was $50 a month, $1000 deductible PPO, 3 million lifetime maximum. Sounds incredible, right? It's the shining light that provides you what was out of reach, especially for a broke student or a debt crippled new grad. And you're like hey, I'm healthy, nothing will happen. Of course, stuff happens. When you least expect it. And that's when in movies it goes "Then, something went terrible wrong". The problem was that nothing met the deductible: no doctors visits, no blood tests, no scans, nothing short of major surgery, emergency, in-hospital catastrophes. There's no blockbuster hero here to tear up major bad guy bum. In fact, it got worse before it got better. Not really sure what the initial testing showed, I weighed the cost of paying out of pocket versus springing for upgraded coverage. The mark up for better stuff? About 5 times more than currently paid premium. And the dumbest thing ever is that I trusted my primary care doctor's office when they said my insurance would help with some costs. So naive. (What I should have done is call the insurance company directly.) By the time I realized this was skewering me financially, a better plan was denied because my health status was not "normal". In the end, I got Lucky, being shepherded into Wilbur's group coverage because of the fact that I had preexisting coverage. I just love an ironic ending. Anyway, it makes me AAAAAAAANGRY (with 8 A's) when people mention this type of insurance. Just say no!

p.s. check out who else is aaaaaaaangry. "I went through floor mats, foo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment