Friday, March 5, 2010

Re Days 111-116

Love is ... "built of a foundation of commitment, fortified by scaffolds of trust, and made beautiful by friendship."
Darling, you're my fortress -- you know that. Because of your will and resolve and spirit and all around betterness, I can whistle a happy tune.

Love is ... "the ability to sacrifice your own well-being for the happiness and well-being of another"

And, I love your idealism; you're my half full to my half empty. It's cute. My crisis is how can I preserve these ideals and protect you from being as jaded?

Remember these quotes? It's from our pre-marriage counseling when we had to prioritize the central attibutes of love. Anyway, I don't think we've so far deviated much from our own definitions. Maybe it was the crab cakes or all that abstract art we took in, but Day 116 was tough conversation.

Some of what was said includes
this isn't our life on hold, this is our life
happily ever after is for fairy tales
setting such a high bar leads to frustration when it can't be achieved
the road is winding and sometimes treacherous but we'll do it together

Have a little more patience, love. I do want to preface this by reminding you that maybe I'm more used to life's pratfalls. It's more natural to me to handle weird stuff, and it's definitely ingrained in my character. You were the 小王子, remember? But what you have is the meter that I'm missing. You know what is good and what is right, what to strive for and you only accept the best. You remind me that through all of this, there is hope in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment